Thursday, May 8, 2008

How Do You Define Yourself?

Because of answers I was receiving from clients recently I asked the question “How do you define yourself?” The answers led me to write about this really important question this week. I started asking people, mainly women, around me the same question.

It saddened me to hear some of the answers I received. One woman defined herself by her husband and children, another by her level of financial success, one by being the daughter of a well known personality and so forth. Only a few women defined themselves just by being who they are.

I used to define myself by how successful I was, by a husband, by my children, education, by what other people thought of me. I didn’t realize that left me with something lacking! Obviously we are defined by many things as we go through the stages of ‘growing up.’ It never occurred to me back then that I was a person in my own right and that the only definition that really counts is being defined by who I am.

Take a look at how you define yourself. Don’t say what you think you ‘should’ or ‘must’ say, be gut honest. It’s OK if you have been defining yourself by things outside of you. Giving yourself the gift of honesty about this will allow you to grow even greater. If you have been defining yourself from outside, you can start to work on defining yourself by ‘who’ you are and the gifts you bring to the world.

You are ‘who you are’ not because someone or something made you that way but just because you’re you. A wonderful brilliant light in the world. Allow yourself to shine brightly.

Have a wonderful week.
‘til next time
To Your Success and Brilliance

Signature

No comments: